Thursday, May 14, 2009

Something profound

This was the conversation:

Kylie: Is it the end Mommy?
Mommy: End of what?
K: Is it the end of the day?
M: Yes
Pause
K: Will there be another day?
Pause
M: Yes
K: And another day?
M: Yes

These are the kind of conversations that REALLy make you think about life.  I mean, how do I know if there will be another day?  But, of course I HAVE TO tell her there will be another day - and another, and another, and another.  It made me realize the omnipotent power we have (as parents) to shape our children's view of the world, at least during these younger years.  On a deeper level, it made me think "what if I die tomorrow?".  Have I done everything right, have I lived my life to the fullest, do I REALLY appreciate the day I'm living right now?  I find solace in the fact that I know I'm doing the best I can.  I have two healthy, happy children and a husband who loves me more than I can explain.   If I stop to think of anything else I need or want - there is nothing.  Well, maybe just more time in a day.... :)

And so, the last word of the conversation was from Kylie:
K: ok
(If only she accepted everything I told her that easily!)   :)

Now, on to the pictures.  I decided to take Kylie outside and let her paint since we rarely do any "messy" arts & crafts around here.  Once again, I was reflecting on my parenting style and wondering if I let Kylie "explore and create" enough.  Jeff and I could be called clean freaks - not in the "clean house" sense, but in the "clean hands and face" sense.  I think we are both a bit neurotic about wiping hands (during and after meals), wiping noses, dirty faces, etc.  But I will say that Jeff is worse than me (sorry hun), often hovering over Kylie while she eats something that could spill and make a *gasp* mess!  This was no different.  I didn't really tell Jeff my thought process before we got the project out - and he did not disappoint.  He immediately huffed and puffed at the droplets of WASHABLE paint on the deck (which, by the way, is being replaced in a few weeks anyway).  Then he proceeded to tell Kylie there was too much paint on her paint brush.  I'm not trying to make fun of him, because I would have done the same thing had I not already made a conscious decision to try NOT to control the situation.

And so, with a little coaxing, our Kylie bear got her hands dirty with some paint and we all had a nice time on the deck!  :)

And Jake had fun watching too.  :)

On to the Jakester..... he reached a milestone for sure.  I predicted he would be a thumbsucker and look at this - he found it!  I could post several more pictures just like this (in different locations) but I figured one shot would do.  Plus, this gives a good perspective of his SIZE!
He smiles all the time - and talks (LOUD) to anyone that will listen.  I am definitely wrapped around his finger already.   He's still sleeping 12 hours at night - but his naps are rarely more than 30 minutes at a time.   I'm thinking I will have to get strong and put him in his crib for naps in a few weeks.  But, how can I leave this cute little face to cry.....   :(

His most surprising new skill is THIS!  He tries to sit up all the time.  If you put him in the swing or the bouncy seat, he is constantly raising his head as if trying to escape!   It's CRAZY!

And this was today.  Kylie was taking pictures of Jake and I, then Daddy came upstairs so I had him take a picture of all three of us.  I'll have to put this picture on my desk to remind me of how sweet they are -- especially on days like today - when I'm hanging on by a thread....  

2 comments:

  1. It is a true talent to smile while being hugged (possibly tightly?) around the neck! A welcome "love you to death" squeeze, for sure! The kids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete