Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Life's a Beach

Heading into this weekend (Memorial Day) was stressful.  Kylie got sick with Strep and Fifth Disease (we think) and kids from her school had HFMD as well.   Uncle Scott scored with a FREE beach house in Destin for the weekend - so we braved the drive with Kylie and Jake (and the rain) and made our way to the panhandle on Friday.  We woke up to torrential rain on Saturday morning and actually contemplated driving home.  The thought of being stuck in a house with a 3 year old and 4 month old for 2 more days of rain was unbearable.  BUT (there's always a BUT right???)  - the skies cleared and we had a wonderful time.

The K-Bear ready for the long drive....
This picture was taken by Daddy (good job!) on one of their 6am walks on the beach.  Yes, I said 6am.  Destin is on Central Time.  Kylie and Jake stayed on Eastern Time.  So, Jeff would take Kylie out for a walk and I would nurse Jake - trying to let the others sleep for a little while longer.....  That is our beach house in the background.
A James Gang photo
Jake had mixed emotions about the beach.  The first day was REALLY windy - which he didn't seem to enjoy so he went to sleep (darn).  I have several pictures of him sleeping in the stroller but decided this one was more blog-worthy!
Kylie WOULD NOT go in the water - but loved playing in the sand.
Yes people, that is my 4 month old STANDING between Daddy's legs.  He thinks he's a big boy now!
Another family photo...  
I had to include this picture of Jake with Uncle Scott & Aunt Deidra.  They had matching outfits on!
It wasn't until after I convinced everyone to pose for THREE group shots that I figured out how to turn on my force-flash.  Yes, I admit, the point & shoot camera gets the best of me sometimes.  I didn't even take the BIG camera out of my bag for the entire trip.  Hey - even the photographer deserves a vacation right?  Anyway, the picture is a little dark - but at least we are all in it!  

We had such a wonderful time.  Although, I will admit, Jeff and I found ourselves daydreaming about a time when we could just sit on the beach and sip margaritas while our kids entertain themselves.  How far away is that???

Both kids did GREAT and were really happy the whole time - AND they both slept through the night!  As challenging as it is with two kids sometimes - I think we have it pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. This brings back so many memories of our first trip to the beach, when Danny was also 4 months old. That first day we really wondered what we were doing - but wound up having a similarly good time. So glad you were able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete