Monday, August 3, 2009

Trip to California

Get ready for lots of pictures! We had a great trip. I must say, Kylie and Jake are very resilient (although I'm not sure how resilient mommy is). Jeff was in meetings Tues/Wed/Thurs (including dinners) and Friday morning. But I got to visit with three of my dear friends (who I miss so much) and they hung out with me while my children slept - or at least that's what it seemed like most of the time.

First up - the plane. We had Jake as an "infant in arms" and he was LITERALLY in arms - although he looks more like a small toddler to me. He did not want to sleep while being held but we perservered.....

My friend Noel got us a 2-bedroom suite at the Residence Inn. So we had a full kitchen, free breakfast and plenty of space (you know, for all the sleeping!). Even Jake and Kylie approved of the digs....
Meet the babysitter we found in California - she was even available at 5am (aka 8am Atlanta time).
This is our other babysitter (aka Noel). We were roommates for a long time - now she's married to a great guy and hoping for kids soon. :) She babysat Jake while we took Kylie to DISNEYLAND!
Kylie's first exposure to video games. She was pretty good too! Jake was watching intently.
Ahhhh Disneyland. It was very nostalgic for me - since I have been there so many times and had never imagined myself there with my own kids. It was crowded and pretty hot (by California standards) but we had SO much fun! It started a bit slow since our first ride (Peter Pan) broke down right when we got to the front. Kylie was annoyed because she didn't know why were standing in the line anyway - total buzz kill.
BUT, we ventured to Toon Town and waited in another LONG line to meet Mickey Mouse. When the door opened, we were first in the group and she ran into the room, right up to the GIANT mouse and hugged him, and then posed for pictures. The smile on her face was sooooo huge when we left there - I almost cried!
Yes, we rode "It's a Small World"....
The tea cups at 10pm
Although Kylie didn't like the fireworks (too loud), she got happier and happier the later we stayed. I didn't want to leave, but Daddy was tired, boo-hoo.
Kylie insisted that we go back to the Princess Store and get "the stuff she wanted". A pair of princess gloves that she wore for the next 3 days, and still wants to sleep with! Oh, and special kudos to my friend Andrea for the awesome Mickey shirt!
The trip wouldn't be complete without visiting the beach right? Not sure if Jake would agree.
We also drove to San Diego to visit one of Jeff's good friends Scott. He and his wife Kathy just had their second baby - but they still cooked us dinner AND let us use their washing machine! Howz that for hospitality!
Here's a little retro shot (2003) for some perspective. They've come a long way from a baked potato and sponge bob, huh?

I'm sure Daddy would love to add his two cents here...... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment